All stories related to Dem. Rep. of the Congo
Apr 04, 2013
04 April 2013 - Richard MacCormac, head of humanitarian mine action for DanChurchAid, talks about the dangerous and multi-faceted nature of landmine clearance.
Mar 06, 2013
UN member states must fulfil their obligations to tackle the causes and consequences of widespread violence against women and girls – which have devastating effects not only on victims, but also on progress toward sustainable international peace and development.
Jan 09, 2013
A profile of Church World Service kicks off the 18th season of a popular U.S. documentary series and features an interview with ACT governing board member, Donna Derr.
Dec 05, 2012
Continued fighting between rebel forces and the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has resulted in growing numbers of Congolese refugees in Uganda and Rwanda.
Dec 03, 2012
UN OCHA estimated last week that an additional 140,000 people have been displaced in and around Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, since rebels took the city on November 20.
Nov 23, 2012
ACT members have been working around the clock to craft a unified strategy to address the deepening humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Nov 20, 2012
The strategic city of Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo has fallen into rebel hands heightening fears of escalating humanitarian needs in the region.
Aug 29, 2012
ACT Alliance Uganda is stepping up efforts to enhance food cultivation, as more refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo are expected to arrive in the Rwamwanja camp in coming weeks, further increasing demand.
Aug 07, 2012
ACT Alliance is preparing for a new influx of Congolese refugees at the Rwamwanja resettlement site in Uganda amid news of fresh fighting between the army and the Tutsi-backed rebel force, M23.
Sep 06, 2010
ACT members in the DRC are helping villagers who lost everything in wildfires.
Jul 07, 2010
In the eastern DRC, women are holding things together
Jun 18, 2010
ACT member Christian Aid calls for an end to attacks on human rights activists in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Jun 11, 2010
Chlorine injected directly into water supplies protect residents of Goma from potentially deadly cholera
May 28, 2010
Former child soldiers in the DRC are being rescued from the battle ground
May 26, 2010
A small village that hosted three times its number no longer suffers the effects of polluted water.
ACT in Dem. Rep. of the Congo
Organisations with HQ in Dem. Rep. of the Congo
- Bureau Oecuménique d'Appui au Développement (Ecumenical Office for Support to Development) (BOAD)
- Centre Oecuménique pour la Promotion du Monde Rural (Ecumenical Centre for the Promotion of Rural World) (COPROMOR)
- Eglise Evangélique Luthérienne au Congo (Evangelical Lutheran Church in Congo) (ELCCo)
- Eglise du Christ au Congo (Church of Christ in Congo) (ECC) - Bureau national
International organisations in Dem. Rep. of the Congo
- Christian Aid (CA)
- DanChurchAid (DCA)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- The Lutheran World Federation (LWF)
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR)
Organisations funding work in Dem. Rep. of the Congo
- Brot für Alle/Pain pour le Prochain (Bread for All) (BfA)
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Diakonie Austria
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT)
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA)
- Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D)
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, The (PWRDF)
- Solidarité Protestante (Protestant Solidarity) (SP)
- United Church of Canada (UCC)
- United Church of Zambia (UCZ)
About Dem. Rep. of the Congo
- Population: 67.7 million (World Bank, 2011)
- Capital: Kinshasa
- Area: 2.34 million sq km (905,354 sq miles)
- Major languages: French, Lingala, Kiswahili, Kikongo, Tshiluba
- Major religions: Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy: 46 years (men), 49 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Congolese franc = 100 centimes
- Main exports: Diamonds, copper, coffee, cobalt, crude oil
- GNI per capita: US $150 (World Bank, 2008)