All stories related to India
Oct 29, 2013
A million people have been made homeless by cyclone Phailin.
Oct 21, 2013
21 October 2013 - low death count means low media coverage, but damage, suffering and need is massive.
Oct 14, 2013
14 October 2013 - ACT organisations say that millions of people need humanitarian assistance for basic foodstuffs and rebuilding after cyclone Phailin destroyed homes and livelihoods in eastern India.
Oct 13, 2013
13 October 2012 - Loss of life was minimised by good disaster preparedness but extremely poor communities have lost their homes and livelihoods.
Oct 12, 2013
12 October 2012 - ACT member CASA has trained 2,000 young people in disaster response. Cyclone Phailin makes landfall in east India today.
Jun 21, 2013
Rescuers in India's flooded northern regions are struggling to reach thousands of religious visitors and local communities alike
Mar 22, 2013
Unequal access to clean water still remains one of the world’s biggest abuses of human rights and challenges to development – creating millions of avoidable illnesses and deaths every year.
Oct 17, 2012
Following on the heels of a successful march, organisers of India's land rights' protest insist the reform process must move forward as talks with the government get underway.
Oct 08, 2012
The 'Jan Satyagraha,' the world's largest march for land justice, aims to help lift 400 million Indians out of poverty.
Oct 02, 2012
A new series of gender integration workshops shed light on how women are often shortchanged in development – and take aim to close the gender gap at each level in the value chain of production.
Sep 18, 2012
A new study, “Women Farmers Adopting to Climate Change,” highlights how the phenomenon affects men and women differently – and can exacerbate already existing gender inequalities.
Aug 06, 2012
ACT Alliance India is mounting a humanitarian response to the most recent spate of inter-ethnic violence between the Bodo tribe and Bengali-speaking Muslims of the north-eastern Indian state of Assam.
Jul 11, 2012
Incessant rains have lashed many parts of the state of Assam causing an alarming rise in the water level of the Brahmaputra River. ACT members have carried out needs assessments and plan to assist affected populations.
Jan 23, 2012
Under the ACT banner, two members are helping families affected by Cyclone Thane
Jan 11, 2012
An innovate partnership aims to short circuit the cycle of poverty for young people in India
ACT in India
Organisations with HQ in India
- Christian Agency for Rural Development (CARD)
- Church's Auxiliary for Social Action (CASA)
- Lutheran World Service India Trust (LWSIT)
- Synodical Board of Social Services, Church of North India (SBSS-CNI)
- United Evangelical Lutheran Churches in India (UELCI)
International organisations in India
- Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR)
- Christian Aid (CA)
- DanChurchAid (DCA)
- ECLOF International
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
Organisations funding work in India
- Act for Peace
- Anglican Overseas Aid-Australia
- Australian Lutheran World Service (ALWS)
- Brot für Alle/Pain pour le Prochain (Bread for All) (BfA)
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Christian World Service (CWS)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Church of Sweden (CoS)
- Diakonie Austria
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Icelandic Church Aid (ICA)
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- Norwegian Church Aid (NCA)
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA)
- Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D)
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, The (PWRDF)
- United Church of Canada (UCC)
- UnitingWorld Relief and Development Unit
- Population: 1.2 billion (UN, 2009)
- Capital: New Delhi
- Most-populated city: Mumbai (Bombay)
- Area: 3.1 million sq km (1.2 million sq miles), excluding Indian-administered Kashmir (100,569 sq km/38,830 sq miles)
- Major languages: Hindi, English and at least 16 other official languages
- Major religions: Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism
- Life expectancy: 62 years (men), 65 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Indian Rupee = 100 paise
- Main exports: Agricultural products, textile goods, gems and jewellery, software services and technology, engineering goods, chemicals, leather products
- GNI per capita: US $1070 (World Bank, 2008)