All stories related to Kenya
Jun 20, 2013
An average refugee now spends nearly two decades living in exile, a situation ACT says must change
Apr 22, 2013
It is time to rethink development, to open our eyes to the adverse effects of our high-consumption lifestyles and values. We have to transform our economy. We have to switch to a low-carbon and resource-efficient development model that closes the gap between rich and poor.
Mar 22, 2013
Unequal access to clean water still remains one of the world’s biggest abuses of human rights and challenges to development – creating millions of avoidable illnesses and deaths every year.
Jan 09, 2013
A profile of Church World Service kicks off the 18th season of a popular U.S. documentary series and features an interview with ACT governing board member, Donna Derr.
Sep 26, 2012
Classrooms in Dadaab that just one year ago were only tented roofs that held few supplies now have walls, desks and textbooks. Even playgrounds with clean-water drinking fountains can be found just outside the schoolroom doors.
Sep 18, 2012
A new study, “Women Farmers Adopting to Climate Change,” highlights how the phenomenon affects men and women differently – and can exacerbate already existing gender inequalities.
Sep 14, 2012
Last year more than 13 million people were starving in the Horn of Africa. ACT Alliance has not only provided emergency relief to hundreds of thousands, but has worked to better prepare them for a more resilient future.
Aug 07, 2012
Dadaab, the world's largest refugee camp in north-eastern Kenya, is home to nearly half-a-million people, most of whom have fled war-torn and drought-ravaged neighboring Somalia.
Jul 12, 2012
An ACT member has joined a number of aid agencies in drawing attention to the looming funding shortage at the Dadaab refugee complex in Kenya.
Jun 20, 2012
Three young people living in Kakuma refugee camp in northwestern Kenya talk about their plans and aspirations for the future.
Apr 18, 2012
Attendance to Emukatan primary School in Kenya improved last year when ACT member, the Anglican Church of Kenya, started trucking in essential food: maize, beans, cooking oil and porridge flour
Feb 29, 2012
John Nduna emphasises the importance of building resilience when responding to emergencies
Nov 04, 2011
Parched land is becoming arable for some people in the Horn of Africa but many others still wait with hope
Sep 24, 2011
Kenyans are fighting back the worst drought in 60 years
Sep 24, 2011
In Kibanui, eastern Kenya, ACT member Anglican Church of Kenya is digging deep to protect the region from drought
ACT in Kenya
Organisations with HQ in Kenya
- All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC)
- Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK)
- National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCCK)
International organisations in Kenya
- Christian Aid (CA)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- ECLOF International
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- Norwegian Church Aid (NCA)
- The Lutheran World Federation (LWF)
- diakonia, Sweden
Organisations funding work in Kenya
- Act for Peace
- Anglican Board of Mission-Australia (ABM)
- Anglican Overseas Aid-Australia
- Australian Lutheran World Service (ALWS)
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR)
- DanChurchAid (DCA)
- Diakonie Austria
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT)
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Icelandic Church Aid (ICA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA)
- Presbyterian World Service & Development (PWS&D)
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, The (PWRDF)
- United Church of Canada (UCC)
- Population: 41.6 million (World bank, 2011)
- Capital: Nairobi
- Area: 582,646 sq km (224,961 sq miles)
- Major languages: Swahili, English
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 54 years (men), 55 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Kenya shilling = 100 cents
- Main exports: Tea, coffee, horticultural products, petroleum products
- GNI per capita: US $770 (World Bank, 2008)