All stories related to The Philippines
Jul 14, 2014
14 July, 2014 - Thousands of volunteers came forward immediately after super typhoon Haiyan caused chaos in November last year. Zenaida A. Calzada, 27, was one of them.
Jul 11, 2014
11 July, 2014 - Tacloban is dejected and disconsolate. As in a criminal place in a bad American film, where even the sun doesn’t shine as brightly as in other places in the Philippines.
Jul 10, 2014
10 July, 2014 - Political disputes are generating further upheaval in the lives of typhoon Haiyan survivors
Jun 30, 2014
30 June, 2014 - Across the path of typhoon Haiyan, survivors are making do with rudimentary housing materials. More resilient structures are needed before the next season of violent weather.
Apr 09, 2014
8 April, 2014 - The simple task of turning over new soil represented much more than the first step in a new shelter scheme for typhoon-hit Jinamoc
Feb 27, 2014
27 February 2014 - Typhoon Haiyan, known locally as Yolanda, ravaged a wide swath of the Philippines in November 2013. ACT Alliance member agencies and their local partners responded heroically to the humanitarian crisis.
Feb 19, 2014
19 February, 2014 - ACT Alliance head, General Secretary John Nduna, has toured areas of the Philippines recovering from typhoon Haiyan
Jan 31, 2014
31 January 2014 - A short video by talented videographer Ville Asikainen from ACT member FinnChurchAid
Jan 30, 2014
30 January 2014 - Located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, the Philippines is a country living on the edge of disaster.
Jan 24, 2014
24 January 2014 - Typhoon Haiyan was indiscriminate in its damage. Along with houses, businesses and infrastructure, schools across the central Philippines were battered by huge waves and fierce winds, leaving them damaged and clogged with mud and debris. But although badly damaged, school doors are now open and classes beginning again.
Dec 18, 2013
18 December 2013 - ACT member YEU has been providing psychosocial care to survivors of Typhoon Haiyan
Dec 08, 2013
8 December 2013 - No-one could predict the storm would be that powerful. A month ago, the village leaders in the area of Medellin in northern Cebu island in central Philippines had been summoned to a meeting at the town hall – people had to be warned.
Nov 09, 2013
9 November 2013 - ACT Alliance members are rushing to respond to super typhoon Haiyan, as people take shelter from the storm surges, waves and winds of up to 300km/hr that are battering the Philippines.
Apr 24, 2013
Members from eight Asian countries met last week in Nepal to share their experiences and develop strategies on how to better influence governments to address climate change.
Feb 04, 2013
Tired of being victims to annual flood waters that inundate their houses, residents of several villages along the shore of the largest lake in the Philippines are organising to either stop the flooding or find viable alternatives for their families.
ACT in The Philippines
Organisations with HQ in The Philippines
International organisations in The Philippines
- Christian Aid (CA)
- ECLOF International
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR)
- World Renew (WR)
Organisations funding work in The Philippines
- Act for Peace
- Anglican Board of Mission-Australia (ABM)
- Australian Lutheran World Service (ALWS)
- Brot für Alle/Pain pour le Prochain (Bread for All) (BfA)
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Christian World Service (CWS)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Church of Sweden (CoS)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Mission EineWelt
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA)
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, The (PWRDF)
- The Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK)
- United Church of Canada (UCC)
- UnitingWorld Relief and Development Unit
About The Philippines
- GNI per capita: US $980 (World Bank, 2008)
- Population: 92 million (UN, 2009)
- Capital: Manila
- Area: 300,000 sq km (115,831 sq miles)
- Major languages: Filipino, English (both official)
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 70 years (men), 74 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Philippine peso = 100 centavos
- Main exports: Electrical machinery, clothing, food and live animals, chemicals, timber products
- GNI per capita: US $1,890 (World Bank, 2008)