All stories related to The Philippines
Apr 21, 2015
Disaster preparedness is an important part of ACT Alliance members’ response in the Philippines after supertyphoon Haiyan.
Dec 17, 2014
17 December 2014 - Coming into the municipality of Dolores you read the words: “PLEASE HELP US”...
Nov 26, 2014
26 November 2014 - To help vulnerable families after typhoon Haiyan, ACT member Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe built 58 permanent shelters in Jaro, Leyte, one of the worst affected areas.
Nov 12, 2014
12 November 2014 - One year after Haiyan, ACT accompanies thousands in commemorating Typhoon Haiyan.
Sep 04, 2014
4 September, 2014 - ACT Alliance's recovery programme moves up a gear with the launch of a revised appeal for Typhoon Haiyan survivors that will help meet the needs of nearly 466,000 survivors
Aug 18, 2014
18 August, 2014 - Young engineer Rizel Mayo is rebuilding the schools in villages recovering from typhoon Haiyan. And one of the beneficiaries of the new classrooms will be her own daughter. We pay homage to Rizel for World Humanitarian Day, August 19.
Aug 11, 2014
12 August 2014 - On International Youth Day, we profile Bong Dalisay, a field assistant with ACT member the National Council of Churches of the Philippines
Aug 05, 2014
5 August 2014 - Survivors of Haiyan take to the streets to express their dissatisfaction with government disaster response
Jul 14, 2014
14 July, 2014 - Thousands of volunteers came forward immediately after super typhoon Haiyan caused chaos in November last year. Zenaida A. Calzada, 27, was one of them.
Jul 11, 2014
11 July, 2014 - Tacloban is dejected and disconsolate. As in a criminal place in a bad American film, where even the sun doesn’t shine as brightly as in other places in the Philippines.
Jul 10, 2014
10 July, 2014 - Political disputes are generating further upheaval in the lives of typhoon Haiyan survivors
Jun 30, 2014
30 June, 2014 - Across the path of typhoon Haiyan, survivors are making do with rudimentary housing materials. More resilient structures are needed before the next season of violent weather.
Apr 09, 2014
8 April, 2014 - The simple task of turning over new soil represented much more than the first step in a new shelter scheme for typhoon-hit Jinamoc
Feb 27, 2014
27 February 2014 - Typhoon Haiyan, known locally as Yolanda, ravaged a wide swath of the Philippines in November 2013. ACT Alliance member agencies and their local partners responded heroically to the humanitarian crisis.
Feb 19, 2014
19 February, 2014 - ACT Alliance head, General Secretary John Nduna, has toured areas of the Philippines recovering from typhoon Haiyan
ACT in The Philippines
Organisations with HQ in The Philippines
International organisations in The Philippines
- Christian Aid (CA)
- ECLOF International
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR)
- World Renew (WR)
Organisations funding work in The Philippines
- Act for Peace
- Anglican Board of Mission-Australia (ABM) - observer status
- Australian Lutheran World Service (ALWS)
- Baptist World Aid
- Brot für Alle/Pain pour le Prochain (Bread for All) (BfA)
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Christian World Service (CWS)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Church of Sweden (CoS)
- Community World Service Asia (CWSA)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Mission EineWelt - observer status
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA)
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, The (PWRDF)
- The Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK)
- United Church of Canada (UCC)
- UnitingWorld Relief and Development Unit
About The Philippines
- GNI per capita: US $980 (World Bank, 2008)
- Population: 92 million (UN, 2009)
- Capital: Manila
- Area: 300,000 sq km (115,831 sq miles)
- Major languages: Filipino, English (both official)
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 70 years (men), 74 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Philippine peso = 100 centavos
- Main exports: Electrical machinery, clothing, food and live animals, chemicals, timber products
- GNI per capita: US $1,890 (World Bank, 2008)