All stories related to The Philippines
Apr 24, 2013
Members from eight Asian countries met last week in Nepal to share their experiences and develop strategies on how to better influence governments to address climate change.
Feb 04, 2013
Tired of being victims to annual flood waters that inundate their houses, residents of several villages along the shore of the largest lake in the Philippines are organising to either stop the flooding or find viable alternatives for their families.
Jan 03, 2013
The Philippines is prone to tropical storms and typhoons, typically experiencing about 20 typhoons per year. Bopha, however, was exceptionally strong.
Oct 24, 2012
Poor communities near water sources are learning how to mitigate their vulnerability to natural disasters following the recent Manila floods.
Sep 17, 2012
For two and half days it rained; flood waters rose, homes were destroyed and lives ultimately lost. At the last count more than 60 people had been killed in and around Manila.
May 10, 2012
The National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP) is running a rehabilitation programme to support local communities devastated by last year’s typhoons.
Mar 25, 2010
A NCCP house-building programme targeted the most vulnerable of a divided community.
Mar 25, 2010
Flood survivors in the Philippines re-build their lives and priorities following a typhoon.
Mar 07, 2010
NCCP responded to floods victims with a relief operation
ACT in The Philippines
Organisations with HQ in The Philippines
International organisations in The Philippines
- Christian Aid (CA)
- ECLOF International
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR)
- World Renew (WR) - formerly Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
Organisations funding work in The Philippines
- Act for Peace
- Anglican Board of Mission-Australia (ABM)
- Brot für Alle/Pain pour le Prochain (Bread for All) (BfA)
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Christian World Service (CWS)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Church of Sweden (CoS)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA)
- Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund, The (PWRDF)
- The Presbyterian Church in the Republic of Korea (PROK)
- United Church of Canada (UCC)
- UnitingWorld Relief and Development Unit
About The Philippines
- GNI per capita: US $980 (World Bank, 2008)
- Population: 92 million (UN, 2009)
- Capital: Manila
- Area: 300,000 sq km (115,831 sq miles)
- Major languages: Filipino, English (both official)
- Major religion: Christianity
- Life expectancy: 70 years (men), 74 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Philippine peso = 100 centavos
- Main exports: Electrical machinery, clothing, food and live animals, chemicals, timber products
- GNI per capita: US $1,890 (World Bank, 2008)