All stories related to Uganda
Dec 05, 2012
Continued fighting between rebel forces and the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has resulted in growing numbers of Congolese refugees in Uganda and Rwanda.
Nov 23, 2012
ACT members have been working around the clock to craft a unified strategy to address the deepening humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Nov 20, 2012
The strategic city of Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo has fallen into rebel hands heightening fears of escalating humanitarian needs in the region.
Oct 02, 2012
A new series of gender integration workshops shed light on how women are often shortchanged in development – and take aim to close the gender gap at each level in the value chain of production.
Aug 29, 2012
ACT Alliance Uganda is stepping up efforts to enhance food cultivation, as more refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo are expected to arrive in the Rwamwanja camp in coming weeks, further increasing demand.
Aug 07, 2012
ACT Alliance is preparing for a new influx of Congolese refugees at the Rwamwanja resettlement site in Uganda amid news of fresh fighting between the army and the Tutsi-backed rebel force, M23.
Mar 13, 2012
More than 20 years after Ugandan residents of the Pader area fled LRA violence, ACT is helping them return home
Aug 15, 2011
The reasons for hunger in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti are far more complex than two years of drought. In Uganda, ACT Alliance members shows things can be done differently.
Jul 08, 2011
Laurie MacGregor reports from the Horn of Africa, where 10 million are at risk of starvation
Jun 02, 2010
In Uganda, cleaner stoves are reducing the need to fell trees for cooking fuel.
Apr 25, 2010
A short film with simple messages on malaria prevention and treatment
ACT in Uganda
Organisations with HQ in Uganda
International organisations in Uganda
- DanChurchAid (DCA)
- ECLOF International
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- The Lutheran World Federation (LWF)
- World Renew (WR) - formerly Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
Organisations funding work in Uganda
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Christian Aid (CA)
- Christian World Service (CWS)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Church of Sweden (CoS)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT)
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Icelandic Church Aid (ICA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Norwegian Church Aid (NCA)
- Population: 32.7 million (UN, 2009)
- Capital: Kampala
- Area: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
- Major languages: English (official), Swahili (official), Luganda, various Bantu and Nilotic languages
- Major religions: Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy: 52 years (men), 53 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Ugandan shilling = 100 cents
- Main exports: Coffee, fish and fish products, tea; tobacco, cotton, corn, beans, sesame
- GNI per capita: US $420 (World Bank, 2008)