All stories related to Uganda
Jan 28, 2014
28 January 2014 - Lisa Henry, Humanitarian Director for ACT member DanChurchAid, reports on getting water to South Sudanese refugees at Adjumani camp in Uganda
Jan 17, 2014
17 January 2014 - Disabled people have a particularly hard time fleeing violence in their native South Sudan for the safety of a camp in a neighbouring country. When Paul Maguet’s wheelchair was stolen, he was forced to crawl for miles.
Jan 15, 2014
15 January 2014 - a short video report from DCA/LWF on the situation in Adjumani refugee camp with a huge influx of South Sudanese refugees.
Jan 12, 2014
12 January 2014 - In just three days, the number of refugees entering Adjumani in north Uganda from South Sudan has doubled, bringing the figure to a total of 24,105 refugees. The influx puts huge pressure on Ugandan camps and calls for an upswing in humanitarian response.
Jan 10, 2014
10 January 2014 - Some 32,000 people have crossed the borders of South Sudan looking for refuge, there are arrivals daily in camps where ACT members are working in Uganda.
Jul 26, 2013
A massive influx of refugees over just two days puts pressure on a new refugee camp. ACT member the Lutheran World Federation is on the ground supplying life-saving care.
Dec 05, 2012
Continued fighting between rebel forces and the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has resulted in growing numbers of Congolese refugees in Uganda and Rwanda.
Nov 23, 2012
ACT members have been working around the clock to craft a unified strategy to address the deepening humanitarian crisis in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Nov 20, 2012
The strategic city of Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo has fallen into rebel hands heightening fears of escalating humanitarian needs in the region.
Oct 02, 2012
A new series of gender integration workshops shed light on how women are often shortchanged in development – and take aim to close the gender gap at each level in the value chain of production.
Aug 29, 2012
ACT Alliance Uganda is stepping up efforts to enhance food cultivation, as more refugees from the Democratic Republic of the Congo are expected to arrive in the Rwamwanja camp in coming weeks, further increasing demand.
Aug 07, 2012
ACT Alliance is preparing for a new influx of Congolese refugees at the Rwamwanja resettlement site in Uganda amid news of fresh fighting between the army and the Tutsi-backed rebel force, M23.
Mar 13, 2012
More than 20 years after Ugandan residents of the Pader area fled LRA violence, ACT is helping them return home
Aug 15, 2011
The reasons for hunger in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti are far more complex than two years of drought. In Uganda, ACT Alliance members shows things can be done differently.
Jul 08, 2011
Laurie MacGregor reports from the Horn of Africa, where 10 million are at risk of starvation
ACT in Uganda
Organisations with HQ in Uganda
- Church of Uganda (CoU)
- Rural Action Community Based Organization (RACOBAO)
- Uganda Joint Christian Council (UJCC)
International organisations in Uganda
- DanChurchAid (DCA)
- ECLOF International
- Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
- The Lutheran World Federation (LWF)
Organisations funding work in Uganda
- Brot für die Welt (BfdW) (Bread for the World)
- Christian Aid (CA)
- Christian World Service (CWS)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Church of Sweden (CoS)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania (ELCT)
- Fellowship of Christian Councils and Churches in the Great Lakes and Horn of Africa (FECCLAHA)
- Finn Church Aid (FCA)
- Icelandic Church Aid (ICA)
- Inter-Church Organisation for Development Cooperation (ICCO)
- Kerk In Actie (KIA)
- Population: 32.7 million (UN, 2009)
- Capital: Kampala
- Area: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles)
- Major languages: English (official), Swahili (official), Luganda, various Bantu and Nilotic languages
- Major religions: Christianity, Islam
- Life expectancy: 52 years (men), 53 years (women) (UN)
- Monetary unit: 1 Ugandan shilling = 100 cents
- Main exports: Coffee, fish and fish products, tea; tobacco, cotton, corn, beans, sesame
- GNI per capita: US $420 (World Bank, 2008)